Prestige Class: Esper Arcantrix
The Esper Arcantrix
|1||+0||+0||+0||+2||Expanded Knowledge||+1 level of existing casting class|
|2||+1||+0||+0||+3||+1 level of existing casting class|
|3||+1||+1||+1||+3||Essence of Magic||+1 level of existing casting class|
|4||+2||+1||+1||+4||+1 level of existing casting class|
|5||+2||+1||+1||+4||Font of Power||-----|
|6||+3||+2||+2||+5||+1 level of existing casting class|
|7||+3||+2||+2||+5||Dynamic Casting||+1 level of existing casting class|
|8||+4||+2||+2||+6||+1 level of existing casting class|
|9||+4||+3||+3||+6||Consume Magic||+1 level of existing casting class|
|10||+5||+3||+3||+7||Embody the Arcane, Talents||+1 level of existing casting class|
- "No mortal can match my arcane prowess."
Composed of raw magic, espers are capable of arcane feats of which most mortal mages can only dream. By tapping into their essence, an esper can achieve unparalleled heights of magical power.
To qualify for the Esper Arcantrix prestige class, you must fulfill the following requirements.
Force Alignment: Magic.
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) - 8 ranks, Spellcraft - 8 ranks.
Feats: Any two Item Creation or Metamagic feats.
Special: You must be able to cast 3rd-level spells, 2nd-level infusions, or lesser invocations.
Game Rule Information
Esper Arcantrices have the following game statistics.
Force Alignment: Magic.
Force Resistances: PR 5 + level, TR 5 + level.
Abilities: Intelligence and charisma are most often the most important ability scores to an esper arcantrix, as they impact her spellcasting.
Hit Die: d6.
Class Skills: The esper arcantrix's class skills are Concentration (Con), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (The Forces) (Int), Spellcraft (Int), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int.
All of the following are class features of the esper arcantrix.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Esper arcantrices gain proficiency with no weapons or armor.
Caster Levels: At the levels on the table above, the esper arcantrix gains new abilities as though she had also gained a level in any one caster class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. The esper's spells known and spell slots improve due to this effective level.
- Special: If you are a warlock, these caster levels count as warlock levels for purposes of determining the damage of your eldritch blast ability.
Expanded Knowledge: At first level, the esper arcantrix's knowledge of the applications of magic expands. She learns one spell, infusion, and invocation, of each spell level and grade, that she has access to. Whenever she gains access to a new spell level, infusion level, or invocation grade, she automatically learns an additional spell, infusion, or invocation of the appropriate level or grade.
Essence of Magic: At third level, the esper arcantrix's ability with magic corresponds with her own personal level of power. She gains a bonus to her caster level equal to her class level, to a maximum of her hit dice.
In addition, her inherent resistance to her opposing forces improves. The esper arcantrix gains a bonus to her inherent PR and TR equal to her class level.
Font of Power: At fifth level, the esper arcantrix's internal magical energies allow her to bring to bear more arcane power than her studies would suggest. Treat whatever ability score is relevant to her casting classes as one point higher per class level (so an esper sorcerer would, at fifth level of esper arcantrix, treat her Charisma as five points higher than it is, for purposes of bonus spell slots, spell level access, and spell saving throw DCs).
Dynamic Casting: A seventh level, the esper arcantrix becomes a master of magical manipulation.
If she prepares spells, she no longer needs to prepare spells with metamagic feats applied (but see below).
If she casts spontaneously, she may apply metamagic feats to her spells without increasing their casting time.
If she uses invocations, she may apply an additional eldritch essence to a single use of eldritch blast.
In addition, when casting a spell to which she wishes to apply a metamagic feat, she may instead opt to sacrifice a spell slot of equal or higher level to the level increase that would have been caused by the metamagic feat. If she does so, she may apply the metamagic feat to the spell she is casting. This requires no additional time.
Consume Magic: At ninth level, the esper arcantrix can consume magical energies that fail to affect her. If she is affected by an arcane spell that affects a single target and makes a successful save against the effect, she gains a temporary insight bonus to her caster level equal to the spell level of the effect. This bonus lasts for 1 round per point of the esper's Charisma modifier, but each round, the bonus decreases by 1, as the residual magic from the effect slowly fades; this fading takes place at the end of each of the esper's turns.
In addition, whenever the esper would attempt to use a Magic effect to dispel a Magic effect, she can increase the target DC by 5. If she does, and succeeds in the dispel attempt, she gains the benefits of this ability, as though she had been targeted by the spell and this ability had affected it.
The esper's own Magical effects cannot be affected by this ability.
Embody the Arcane: At tenth level, the esper arcantrix's ability with magic far exceeds what her studies would suggest she is capable of. When she gains a bonus to her caster level - such as from essence of magic or the Versed in the Force feat - the cap for such effects is her hit dice + her Charisma modifier.
Talents: At tenth level, the esper arcantrix adds the following talents to her talent lists for her caster class to which she applied her bonus caster levels gained from this prestige class.
If you do not have a class that grants talents, you still add these talents to the list of talents you have available; thus, if you gain access to talents in other ways, you can gain these abilities.
- Arcanic Beast: When you use your arcane transformation ability to take on your esper form, you retain access to your spellcasting abilities; you use your alternate form's MP pool for access to these abilities, if relevant.
- Empowered Beast: When you use your arcane transformation ability to take on your esper form, you gain additional MP equal to your caster level. Note that your alternate form and your normal form retain separate MP pools. (Prerequisites: Arcanic Beast)
- Cast from the Soul (Ma): You are able to cast spells and use Magic abilities even while muted.
- Esper Blast (Ma): Your literal connection to the Force of Magic allows you to channel significantly more energy into bolts of pure arcane power, but also becomes more intrinsically tied to your existence. Your eldritch blast ability now deals damage based upon your current hit points: when you are at full hp, it deals damage in d10's, rather than d6's; when at higher than 75% of your max hp, it deals damage in d8's; at higher than 50% of your max hp, it deals damage in d6's; at higher than 25% of your max hp, it deals damage in d4's; and at less than 25% of your max hp, it deals one-half of its dice pool in d4's (thus, if you have an eldritch blast of 8d6, you would deal 4d4 at less than 25% of your max). If you gain temporary hit points or other form of hit points that allows your current hit points to exceed your current maximum, your eldritch blast instead deals damage in d12's, but note that increasing your maximum hit points does not count for this ability. (Prerequisite: Eldritch Blast)
- Heart of the Arcane: You gain bonus MP equal to your character level, and each time you level, you gain +1 MP. If you do not have MP, you gain an MP pool, with a total equal to your character level. You can take this talent multiple times; its effect stacks.
- Arcane Versatility: Choose one spell, infusion, or invocation, and add it to your known list. You can use this ability to gain knowledge of spells, infusions, or invocations that do not appear on your class list, including Magic abilities of other types (thus, if you normally only cast spells, you can learn an infusion, and so forth). If the ability you choose does not have a listed MP cost, its MP cost is equal to (half [spell level + 1]) squared, rounded down; if it is a 0-level effect, it costs 0 MP, but can only be cast while you have at least 1 MP. You can take this talent multiple times; each time you do, you select a different spell, infusion, or invocation. (Prerequisite: Heart of the Arcane)
- Matra Magic (Ma): As a swift action, you can simultaneously convert all of your MP into HP, and all of your HP into MP. (Prerequisite: Must have at least 1 MP)
- Weaken Reality (Sp): If the target of your eldritch blast has SR, they must make a Will save. If the target fails, their SR is halved (round down) until the end of your next turn. This ability is considered an eldritch essence. (Prerequisite: Eldritch Blast)
- Wish (Sp): You gain knowledge of the wish spell. If you do not use MP, you can use your racial living arcana ability to cast it, at the cost of 36 hit points.