Known as the elar'in, memento varietas is an unusual animal. Originally bred as a rather small, very fast companion, the elar'in begin exhibiting unusual, plantlike traits. Intrigued by this change, breeders brought specimens of memento varietas to a variety of locales on Sarteri, and found that - dependent upon the creature's surroundings - it would subtly change into a different variation. They found, however, that this change was one-way: once the mutations had begun to take hold, the elar'in is unable to adapt to another environment. Its genes become permanently and irreversibly changed.
Now, it is known that these traits are dormant in every elar'in, genetic holdovers from the large amount of interspecies breeding used to arrive at the end result. The animal adjusts itself to its surrounding terrain, allowing it to blend in - useful for hunting prey - as well as allowing it to survive in possibly hostile environments. Elar'in are prized for their incredible versatility, and their Ronkan name, memento varietas, is indicative of their mutability.
In trainer history, it is known that exceptionally bright and talented trainers were gifted with an elar'in as their first memento - it was thought that the best of the trainers would be able to put these versatile creatures to the greatest advantage. To receive an elar'in as one's initial memento is a great honor.
Elar'in (Memento Varietas) Tiny Magical Beast HD: 1d6-1 (5 hp) Init: +4 Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares) Armor Class: 16 (+2 size, +4 dex) Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-11 Attack: Slam +4 (1d4-3) Full Attack: Slam +4 (1d4-3) Space/Reach: 2.5 ft/0 ft. Special Attacks: Sneak Attack +1d6 Special Qualities: Adaptability Saves: Fort -1, Ref +6, Will +0 Abilities: Str 4, Dex 18, Con 8, Int 4, Wis 10, Cha 14, Per 8 Skills: Tumble +8 Feats: Weapon Finesse Egg Group(s): Class I (Ground)
The Elar'in HD: d6 Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special 1 +0 +0 +2 +0 Sand-attack, Adaptability, Sneak Attack +1d6 2 +1 +0 +3 +0 +2 Dex, Mobility 3 +2 +1 +3 +1 Slam (1d6), Sneak Attack +2d6 4 +3 +1 +4 +1 +2 Dex, Growl, Quick Attack 5 +3 +1 +4 +1 Bite (1d4) 6 +4 +2 +5 +2 +2 Dex, Sneak Attack +3d6 7 +5 +2 +5 +2 Take Down 8 +6/+1 +2 +6 +2 Slam (1d8), +2 Dex, Mobility 9 +6/+1 +3 +6 +3 Sneak Attack +4d6 10 +7/+2 +3 +7 +3 +2 Dex, Double Team, Evolution, Bite (1d6) 11 +8/+3 +3 +7 +3 Yawn 12 +9/+4 +4 +8 +4 +2 Dex, Sneak Attack +5d6 13 +9/+4 +4 +8 +4 Slam (1d10), Tickle 14 +10/+5 +4 +9 +4 +2 Dex, Mobility 15 +11/+6/+1 +5 +9 +5 Sneak Attack +6d6, Bite (1d8) 16 +12/+7/+2 +5 +10 +5 +2 Dex, Endure 17 +12/+7/+2 +5 +10 +5 Agility 18 +13/+8/+3 +6 +11 +6 +2 Dex, Slam (2d6), Sneak Attack +7d6 19 +14/+9/+4 +6 +11 +6 20 +15/+10/+5 +6 +12 +6 +2 Dex, Mobility, Bite (1d10)
- This ability functions as the rogue ability.
- Whenever the elar'in uses a Technique, if its descriptor matches its subtype (such as [water]), then that Technique's effect is increased by 50%, as though affected by the Empower Spell feat. If the Technique would not be able to benefit from the Empower Spell feat, then increase its saving throw DC (if any) by +2.
- The elar'in kicks up sand, dirt, or other loose material at an adjacent opponent. The creature must make a Reflex save, or get a -4 circumstance penalty on all attack rolls for 1d4 rounds.
- As per the feat. The elar'in gains this feat multiple times; the benefit it provides stacks (given that it is a dodge bonus).
- The elar'in growls fiercely at an opponent in Close range. Make an Intimidate check, opposed by the target's level check; if the target fails, it suffers a -2 penalty on all of its attack rolls until your next action.
Quick Attack (Technique)
- The elar'in strikes with blinding speed. As a standard action, make a normal attack. At the end of your turn, increase your initiative by 4.
- The elar'in learns how to use its sharp teeth to its advantage. The elar'in gains a bite attack in addition to its other attacks. In addition, when it hits a creature with its bite attack, if your target fails a Fortitude save, it is restricted to taking a single partial action on its next turn (as though it had been slowed).
Take Down (Technique)
- The elar'in runs full-speed at a creature. As a full-round action, you may charge a creature; once the charge attack resolves, you may attempt to bull-rush or trip your target (you cannot choose to not do either, however). As part of that action's resolution, you take 1d6 points of damage.
Double Team (Technique)
- The elar'in focuses its energy on evasive maneuvers. The elar'in gains a +4 dodge bonus to AC for 1 round/level.
- At 10th level, the elar'in has matured to the point where its genes begin expressing its innate camouflage. The elar'in may begin taking levels in one of the following race prestige classes, presuming it meets the other prerequisites: elar'wyn, elar'jag, elar'fym, elar'nych, elar'thal, elar'tryl, or elar'glyce. Once a level in one of these prestige classes is taken, the elar'in can no longer take levels in elar'in, or in any other prestige class mentioned here.
- In addition, the elar'in grows to Small size.
- The elar'in yawns innocently, causing a target within Close range to mimic its action. The target is now fatigued (unless it makes a successful Will save); after its next turn, it falls asleep for 1d4 rounds.
- The elar'in brushes its ears and tail gently against an adjacent creature, causing it to lose focus. The creature gets a -2 circumstance penalty to AC and attack rolls for 1d4 rounds; a successful Will save negates this effect.
- The elar'in steels itself against blows, gaining 1d4/level temporary hit points. These temporary hit points last 1 round/level.
- The elar'in tenses itself, preparing its muscles for a temporary burst of speed and alacrity. It gets a +4 haste bonus to Dexterity for 1 round/level.
Elar'wyn (Memento Variaquas) Progression
The elar'wyn is an aquatic variation of the elar'in, a result of its adaptation to a primarily water-based environment.
In order to qualify for the elar'wyn race prestige class, a creature must fulfill the following requirements.
- Species: Elar'in (Memento Varietas).
- Special: The creature must have spent at least a week underwater, in a coastal region, or near a lake or similar large body of water.
The Elar'wyn HD: d8 Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special 1 +0 +0 +1 +2 +2 Cha, Water Absorb, Swim, Aquatic 2 +1 +0 +2 +3 Water Gun 3 +1 +1 +2 +3 +4 Cha, Slam (1d10) 4 +2 +1 +2 +4 Camouflage 5 +2 +1 +3 +4 +2 Cha, +2 Dex, Sneak Attack +1d6 6 +3 +2 +3 +5 Slam (2d6), Aqua Ring 7 +3 +2 +4 +5 +4 Cha, 8 +4 +2 +4 +6 Water Pulse 9 +4 +3 +4 +6 +2 Cha, Slam (2d8) 10 +5 +3 +5 +7 +2 Dex, Sneak Attack +2d6, Rain Dance
- While at least partially submerged in water, an elar'wyn gains Fast Healing 2.
- An elar'wyn targeted by a [water] effect immediately regains 1d8 hit points, and suffers no other effects. An elar'wyn cannot use its own abilities on itself to gain the benefits of this ability.
- The elar'wyn gains a Swim speed of 30 ft.
- The elar'wyn gains the water subtype. Due to this, it also gains electricity vulnerability, as well as plant vulnerability.
Water Gun (Technique) [Water]
- As a standard action, the elar'wyn can spout a pressurized jet of water from its mouth at a target within Close range; hitting the target requires a ranged touch attack. The water gun deals 1d6/level points of damage.
- An elar'wyn of 4th level or higher can use the Hide skill in any sort of aquatic environment, even if the terrain doesn't grant cover or concealment.
Aqua Ring (Technique)
- As a full-round action, the elar'wyn uses its own body moisture to surround itself in swift-moving water, granting it Fast Healing 4 for 1 round/level. This effect does not stack with its Water Absorb ability.
Water Pulse (Technique) [Water]
- As a full-round action, the elar'wyn emits a high-frequency pulse of water, accompanied by an ultrasonic screech. The pulse deals 1d4/level points of damage to all creatures within 20 feet; with a Fortitude save halving the damage. In addition, any creatures that fail the Fortitude save must make another Fortitude save, or else be confused (as per the spell) for 1d4 rounds.
Rain Dance (Technique)
- As a 1 round action, the elar'wyn coaxes rain from the skies above. This affects a 120-foot radius area, centered on the elar'wyn, and lasts for 2d6 rounds.
Elar'nych (Memento Varinfusco) Progression
Discovered by those who brought their elar'ins deep into the caves of southernmost Sarteri, the elar'nych is an interesting mutation. By spending time in the dark places of the world, the creature seems to absorb darkness; it begins to radiate negative energy, despite being a living being.
In order to qualify for the elar'nych race prestige class, a creature must fulfill the following requirements.
- Species: Elar'in (Memento Varietas).
- Special: The creature must have spent at least a week in darkness, either due to natural conditions or underground.
The Elar'nych HD: d10. Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special 1 +1 +1 +1 +2 Dark, +2 Str, +1 Natural Armor, Pursuit 2 +2 +2 +2 +3 Bite (1d8), Crunch 3 +3 +2 +2 +3 +2 Cha, +3 Natural Armor 4 +4 +2 +2 +4 Bite (1d10), Camouflage, Improved Feint 5 +5 +3 +3 +4 +2 Str, +5 Natural Armor 6 +6 +3 +3 +5 Bite (2d6), Dark Pulse 7 +7 +4 +4 +5 +2 Cha, +7 Natural Armor 8 +8 +4 +4 +6 Bite (2d8), Thief, Nasty Plot 9 +9 +4 +4 +6 +9 Natural Armor 10 +10 +5 +5 +7 +2 Str, +2 Cha, Bite (2d10), Night Slash
- The elar'nych gains a subtype unique to mementos, the dark subtype, which indicates a suffusion with negative energy (but is not undead). As a result, the elar'nych gains darkvision of 60 feet, and light sensitivity (elar'nych are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell).
- A creature of the dark subtype is immune to mind-affecting effects.
Pursuit (Technique) [Dark]
- As a standard action, the elar'nych can attack a creature once with its bite attack. If the attack hits, on the creature's next turn, if it is threatened by the elar'nych and tries to move away from the elar'nych, the elar'nych may make an attack of opportunity against the creature. Even if the creature attempts just a 5-foot step, the creature is still subject to an AoO.
Crunch (Technique) [Dark]
- The elar'nych's bite attack may, instead of causing the creature to lose a partial action on its next turn, weaken the creature's defenses, resulting in a -4 penalty to AC for 1 round/level (unless a successful Fortitude save is made); in addition, half the damage dealt by the bite attack is negative energy damage.
- An elar'nych of 4th level or higher can use the Hide skill in darkness or dim illumination, even if the terrain doesn't grant cover or concealment.
- As per the feat.
Dark Pulse (Technique) [Dark]
- As a full-round action, the elar'nych emits a high-frequency pulse of negative energy, accompanied by an ultrasonic screech. The pulse deals 1d4/level points of negative energy damage to all creatures within 20 feet; with a Fortitude save halving the damage. In addition, any creatures that fail the Fortitude save must make another Fortitude save, or else only be able to take a partial action on its next turn.
- (Essentially gain a feat from the BoRL - will be added later.)
Nasty Plot (Technique) [Dark]
- The elar'nych plans its moves ahead of time, allowing it to maximize its capabilities against its foes' weaknesses. As a standard action, the elar'nych can grant itself a +4 profane bonus to Charisma for 1 round/level.
Night Slash (Technique) [Dark]
- The elar'nych manifests blades of negative energy, which it hurls at a foe. As a standard action, the elar'nych may make a ranged touch attack against a creature within Close range (crit: 18-20/x3). If struck, the creature takes 1d6/level points of negative energy damage.
Elar'tryl (Memento Varifoliatus) Progression
The elar'tryl was the first discovered mutation of the elar'in, as the first trainers lived and trained primarily in the fields of southern Sarteri. When it was found that not all elar'in mutated immediately into this form upon maturation, trainers began investigating the phenomenon, and discovered the elar'in's mutagenic properties.
In order to qualify for the elar'tryl race prestige class, a creature must fulfill the following requirements.
- Species: Elar'in (Memento Varietas).
- Special: The creature must have spent at least a week amongst dense foliage, grasslands, or similar plant-life.
The Elar'tryl HD: d6. Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special 1 +1 +2 +0 +0 +2 Str, Leaf Guard, Plant, +2 Natural Armor 2 +2 +3 +0 +0 +2 Con, Razor Leaf 3 +3 +3 +1 +1 Slam (1d10), +4 Natural Armor 4 +4 +4 +1 +1 +2 Str, Camouflage, Synthesis 5 +5 +4 +1 +1 +6 Natural Armor 6 +6 +5 +2 +2 +2 Con, Slam (2d6), Magical Leaf 7 +7 +5 +2 +2 +2 Str, +8 Natural Armor 8 +8 +6 +2 +2 Giga Drain 9 +9 +6 +3 +3 Slam (2d8), +10 Natural Armor 10 +10 +7 +3 +3 +2 Str, +2 Con, Leaf Blade
- While in strong sunlight, the elar'tryl gets a +8 resistance bonus on saving throws made against status conditions.
- The creature's type becomes plant (augmented magical beast). Due to this, it also gains fire and cold vulnerabilities; however, it only suffers half damage from water, electricity, and earth sources.
Razor Leaf (Technique) [Plant]
- The elar'tryl flings its tail leaves at a creature within Close range. As a full-round action, the elar'tryl can throw one tail leaf at 1st level, and an additional one every two levels thereafter, to a maximum of five at 9th level. Attacking with these leaves requires a ranged touch attack for each leaf; these leaves deal 1d6+1 (18-20/x2) points of damage.
- An elar'tryl of 4th level or higher can use the Hide skill in any sort of forest or grassland environment, even if the terrain doesn't grant cover or concealment.
- As a full-round action, the elar'tryl can attempt to derive nourishment from its surroundings. While in strong sunlight, this ability restores 1d8/level hit points; in dim sunlight, 1d6/level; in twilight, 1d4/level; and at night, 1/level. Once this ability is used, it cannot be used again for another 8 hours.
Magical Leaf (Technique) [Plant]
- As a standard action, the elar'tryl focuses its energy on a single tail-leaf, which is flung at a target within Close range with unerring accuracy (this effect requires no attack roll). The target takes 1d4/level points of damage.
Giga Drain (Technique) [Plant]
- As a full-round action, the elar'tryl can attempt to derive nourishment from a nearby (Close range) creature. The creature may make a Fortitude save to negate the effect; if the save fails, the creature takes 1d6/level points of damage, and the elar'tryl gains half the damage dealt as temporary hit points. Once used, this ability cannot be used again for 2d6 rounds.
Leaf Blade (Technique) [Plant]
- As a standard action, the elar'tryl uses its head leaf to attack an adjacent creature. Making the attack is a melee touch attack (crit: 18-20/x3), and deals 1d6/level points of damage.